Rotary’s Kentucky Derby Party just around the corner

Photo courtesy Pagosa Springs Rotary Club
More than a gathering to watch a just a sporting event, Rotary’s Kentucky Derby Party is a chance to sport your classy duds and fancy hats, with awards given for the best men’s hat and best women’s hat. Tickets are on sale now for the party, which is set for May 6.

By Lisa Scott
Special to The PREVIEW

Gentlemen, bring your favorite lady to an event she will love and enjoy an afternoon of fun for everyone. The Kentucky Derby Party on May 6 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the prestigious Keyah Grande Lodge west of Pagosa Springs on U.S. 160 is the place to be.

The party starts as it does in Kentucky, with a buffet lunch and desserts, sipping on mint juleps and other spirits from the bar, listening to live music, betting on a favorite horse and mingling with other guests.

An “experiences” silent auction will be held.

Tickets are $40 each and will sell out. You can get tickets from any Rotarian, the Pagosa Springs Area Chamber of Commerce, EXIT Realty and The Choke Cherry Tree.

Hosted by the Pagosa Spring Rotary Club, Kentucky Derby festivities and the race will be simulcast live from Louisville. You can place your wager at the betting window and 75 percent of the money taken in will be returned to the winners. The other 25 percent will stay with Rotary to support college scholarships for graduating seniors and all of the other projects Rotary does in the community. There will be more winners during the men’s and women’s hat contests.

Often called “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports,” the Kentucky Derby receives this nickname from the approximate length of time it takes the winner to run from the starting gate to the finish line.

This party has a live horse with the traditional rose garland draped over his neck greeting guests at the entrance. You won’t want to miss this exquisite afternoon event.