By Joan Mieritz
Special to The PREVIEW
On Saturday, April 25, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., there will be a new event in Pagosa Springs — the Astronomy/Earth Day Fair.
It is an opportunity for the community to gather at the Pagosa Springs Youth Center (near the Humane Society Thrift Store) to celebrate the older youth, our precious earth and learn about the amazing universe. Activities and delicious food will be available all day:
• Come see the solar telescope to check out, in real time, what is happening on the sun.
• Visit the “telescope trauma team.” There are so many people in Pagosa who own telescopes that just sit in the closet because no one has figured out how to operate them. This team will do their best to figure out how to get your scope operational.
• Participate in all sorts of astronomy learning activities for families to enjoy together.
• Glow-in-the-dark constellations to take home.
• Opportunity to create an artistic replica of the lunar standstill at Chimney Rock with prizes for different age-groups.
• The Pagosa Springs Medical Center wellness staff will be on duty all day doing free blood pressure checks. If you would like a heart-healthy blood screening done, you must fast for 12 hours. You can call 731-1533 to set up a screening time from 8 to 10:30 a.m. or just show up or set up a future appointment.
• Various vendor booths with things to buy and opportunities to learn. Several booths will have inexpensive, but very nice Mother’s Day gifts for children to purchase and gift wrap. (If you are interested in renting a booth for $15, see below).
• Food (breakfast burritos, chicken salad, multiple varieties of one-minute microwave cupcakes with the recipe for making them at home, plus others).
• Students will receive a coupon at school to redeem for a free “moon cake.”
• There will be a card for donors to sign with different categories of donations: the largest (over $1,000) being the supernovae, over $100 is bright stars and all others shining stars. It will be on display at the Youth Center for people to know about our special donors.
Call 731-0186 for a booth or with questions.
You may have many other things going on the weekend of April 25, but you can swing in for some delicious food or dessert and to help support the Pagosa Springs Youth Center. The Youth Center is an integral part of our community providing a supervised location for young people to meet after school, get a snack and touch base with both friends and caring adults. It is a way for our youth to feel supported and recognized by our community.
Come show the youth your support and have some out-of-this-world fun.