By Jane Parker | Archuleta School District
Thirty-two members of the Colorado Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) from Pagosa Springs High School (PSHS) had the opportunity to attend and compete at the 2022 FBLA State Leadership Conference in Aurora, Colo., recently.
Throughout the conference, members had the opportunity to make connections with members across the state, network with business professionals, showcase their talents and skills, and become better leaders within their schools and communities. This three-day conference provided members with the various educational workshops, inspiring and powerful keynote speakers and the opportunity to get involved in various community service projects.
More than 2,800 students and 300 advisers were able to attend this conference that ignited their passion for business. Members were able to compete in more than 70 different competitive events ranging from objective tests, to role plays, to speeches.
Overall, PSHS brought home many awards and honors for its members and school throughout this conference, including six members who qualified to advance to the National Leadership Conference this summer:
• Griffin Grose and Sawyer Blakemore — Management Information Systems, first place.
• Rachel Smith and Zach Olson — Community Service Project, second place.
• Abigail Nehring and Olivia Nehring — 3D Animation, third place.
Also, 11 members placed in the top 10:
• Kelsey Britton — Human Resource Management, fifth place.
• Kaleb Johnson and Noah Slingerland — Computer Game and Simulation Programming, seventh place.
• Taylor Capistrant and Vinicio Carranza — Graphic Design, seventh place.
• Olivia Craig — Business Communication, 10th place.
• Sierra Liverett, Lauren Peart, and Ebanie Wilkins — Business Management, 10th place.
• Lynelle Bartz and Jonathan Nasralla — Sports and Entertainment Management, 10th place.
Colorado FBLA, a chartered member of National FBLA, is a registered 501(c)(3). Its mission is to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs. Colorado FBLA inspires and prepares students to become community-minded business leaders in a global society through relevant career preparation and leadership experiences.