By Chris Boyd
Wolf Creek Gun and Bow Association
In the summer of 2019, a group of citizens formed to discuss the development of a dedicated shooting facility in Pagosa Springs.
That group, spearheaded by JoAnn Pogreba-Dykstra, held a town-hall meeting in October 2019 in the Pagosa Springs Middle School gymnasium. Approximately 100 community members attended and expressed support for the concept.
Unfortunately, due to COVID, no other public meetings have been feasible. The good news is that despite being unable to have public meetings, much progress has been made as it relates to the formation of the sports club.
An interim board of directors has been working diligently with multiple committees to move forward in spite of the obstacles presented by the coronavirus. Thus far, the following landmarks have been achieved:
• The club’s official name was decided: Wolf Creek Gun and Bow Association.
• The club was officially incorporated with the Colorado secretary of state. A Notice of Intent to Operate Under Section 501(c)(4) nonprofit entity was filed with the Internal Revenue Service.
• The mission statement was identified as: “To provide a safe and enjoyable environment to promote the use, training and education for all shooting disciplines in the Pagosa Springs area.”
• Thanks to the talent and generous contribution of Pagosa Springs resident Danny Rocca, a logo was selected and our website is under construction (www.wolfcreekgunandbow.org).
• Club bylaws and an ethical code of conduct for directors and committee members were adopted.
• The following committees were formed: community outreach, events and fundraising, land acquisition, membership, rules and safety.
In partnership with the community, the interim board is hopeful to make even greater strides in 2021. The club is now officially open for membership and intends to engage in public outreach and education in the coming months. One of its first events will be staffing an informational table at the Pagosa Gun, Knife and Coin Show to be held at the Archuleta County Fairgrounds June 18, 19 and 20.
The greatest challenge is identifying a suitable location to develop a range. Should you have any ideas, wish to donate land or finances to assist in this endeavor, or want to volunteer on any of the listed committees, please visit the website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.