Special to The PREVIEW
Hobbies can help people escape the daily grind. Though it’s easy to view hobbies as enjoyable ways to pass the time, they also can be vehicles that enrich your life.
Hobbies are especially good at helping people learn new skills. They also may help boost professional and personal development.
Hobbies play a vital role for a variety of reasons, and some hobbyists may be surprised to learn just how much their favorite form of escapism is benefiting their lives.
• Hobbies may help to relieve stress by keeping you engaged with something you enjoy. Reducing stress may help you remain calm and be more productive at home, at work and in school. Reduced stress also translates into improved mental and physical health.
• People who engage in hobbies experience new things and may interact with different people through their interests. This can give you various topics to discuss in conversation and make you more interesting to others. Learning skills through hobbies also means you will obtain specialized knowledge that you can impart on people with similar interests.
• Hobbies can be creative outlets that take your mind off of other things. For people who have trouble with meditation and other mindful ways to shut off their brains, hobbies can be a form of escapism that leaves you alone with your thoughts. According to the self-improvement resource Personal Growth, most hobbies actually have a meditative effect on your thoughts because, no matter what you are doing, your awareness becomes completely focused on the hobby.
• Hobbies can improve your social life and foster creative bonds with others, providing great ways to meet and get closer to people who share your interests.
• Hobbies can help stave off boredom, providing productive outlets when there is nothing else available to fill the time. Hobbies can be more beneficial ways to spend your time than playing games on a phone or watching television.
• Hobbies also may be educational and enrich knowledge through skill building. People who start with one hobby may find connections to other ones, further developing their knowledge and skill sets.
If embracing new hobbies is on your list of resolutions for the upcoming year, individuals can rest assured that engaging in hobbies promotes personal growth in various ways.