By Jasmin Wampler
Special to The SUN
On Tuesday, Nov. 3, Kahlan George, age 5, was able to prevent what might have been a disaster.
She woke up to the sound of smoke alarm detectors going off and realized that her house was filled with smoke. She safely crawled to her parents’ bedroom and woke them up.
Her father, Richard George, immediately got up, opened all doors and let the smoke out. The smoke was caused by smoldering embers from a wood stove.
On Saturday, Nov. 7, firefighters and volunteers gathered at Pagosa Fire Protection District (PFPD) Station 1 to honor Kahlan George’s bravery. Assistant Fire Chief Randy Larson, Capt. Kelly Robertson and firefighter Megan Macht presented a Certificate of Bravery Award to Kahlan George for her act of bravery and courage. She also received a speedy fire truck 24-piece jigsaw puzzle.