The Pagosa Springs Town Council met last Thursday to review its list of goals and objectives and discuss not only the progress that has been made over the past year, but to also decide which items are still a priority for next year.
Last summer, the council conducted a series of full-day and half-day work sessions — some facilitated by Town Manager Greg Schulte, some by Ken Charles from the Colorado Department of Local Affairs — to develop a comprehensive list of its priorities.
As a result of all this work, the council was able to narrow the list down to four goals:
1. Define and foster Pagosa’s unique character and sense of place.
2. Recognize and value downtown as the community’s heart.
3. Promote a vital local economy by supporting economic development and tourism.
4. Improve communication, encourage public engagement and pursue cooperative relationships.
Each one of these overarching goals then had three or four more specific objectives related to it. The list of objectives for the first goal were:
• Complete the planned trail system.
• Enhance and utilize Pagosa’s natural resources.
• Enhance and protect our historic resources.
• Explore Pagosa’s unique character.