R.L. “Hoppy” was born July 30, 1915, in Coryell County, Texas, and died peacefully April 19 at his home in Flower Mound, Texas.
Hoppy grew up in Meridian, Texas, and graduated high school in 1932. In 1941, Hoppy was employed by Recordak Corporation (Kodak) in Dallas and remained there until his retirement as district distribution manager in 1975. His tenure was interrupted by three years in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He set up and operated Navy V-mail stations in Algeria and Naples. He was later stationed in the Pacific and ended his service as photo-mate, First Class, with a Navy fighter squadron.
During Hoppy’s long residence in Dallas, he was a member of Lovers Lane Methodist Church, the Inwood Lion’s Club and the Dallas Christian Layman’s Group. After retirement, he moved to Flower Mound, where he served on and chaired the planning and zoning board. Hoppy was preceded in death by his daughter, Carol; his parents; all of his six brothers and four sisters. He is survived by his wife, Evelyn; daughters Rene and Andrea; and sons John and Marlon. Also surviving are seven grandchildren, many great and great-great grandchildren, and his nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were at 11 a.m. on April 23 at Restland Memorial Chapel on Greenville Ave., Dallas. He is interned at Restland Memorial Park.
Hoppy and Evelyn had been coming to Pagosa Springs for many summers, where they were active in the community. Hoppy was part of the Fourth of July parade all decked out in his military uniform.
He really enjoyed being part of the Senior Center for lunch and the picnics. He loved to sing and his songs were enjoyed by all in attendance. He participated in Relay for Life (American Cancer Society) as he was a cancer survivor.
Hoppy will be greatly missed by his family and all who knew him both here in Pagosa Springs and Texas.