Economics and the first bath house

5
Photo courtesy John M. Motter The first bath house built at Pagosa Springs, by Thomas Blair, was not particularly elegant to look at, as pictured here, but it was a step forward.
Photo courtesy John M. Motter
The first bath house built at Pagosa Springs, by Thomas Blair, was not particularly elegant to look at, as pictured here, but it was a step forward.

Thomas Blair opened the first public bath house near the great Pagosa Hot Spring in May of 1881. It contained “one large plunge fully four and one-half feet deep, and several single bath tubs, fully sufficient to accommodate all visitors. This fine bath house is run in connection with the Hamilton House, the gentlemanly proprietors of which will do all in their power for the accommodation of the traveling public.”

The full version of this story is available in the print edition and e-edition of the Pagosa Springs SUN. Subscribe today by calling (970)264-2100 or click here.