By January of 1881, two stage coach lines were running daily between the end of the Denver & Rio Grande narrow gauge railroad and Durango. The railroad was building westward and soon would reach Durango, but in early 1881 it had only reached Cumbres Pass east of Chama. Travelers and supplies unloaded at the end of the railroad and transferred to the stage coaches running through Pagosa Springs to Durango. As the railroad moved west, so did the transfer point.
The full version of this story is available in the print edition and e-edition of the Pagosa Springs SUN. Subscribe today by calling (970)264-2100 or click here.