When Lt. Col. R.E.A. Crofton passed through Pagosa Springs in August of 1880 with a battalion of infantry bound for the new location of Fort Lewis on the La Plata River, he carried with him bad news for the town of Pagosa Springs.
While stopped in Pagosa Springs, he gave orders to Capt. R. L. Torres of the 13th Infantry to remain with Company A for the purpose of “removing all the public stores, and dismantling and removing the public buildings to Mancos.”
The full version of this story is available in the print edition and e-edition of the Pagosa Springs SUN. Subscribe today by calling (970)264-2100 or click here.