By Kathy Pugliese
Special to The SUN
More than 26,000 Colorado Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit, commonly known as the “PTC Rebate” have been filed thus far in 2012.
This is a rebate for low-income seniors and disabled individuals of their rent or property taxes paid, and heating expenses paid. Qualified applicants can receive up to $792 — $600 for rent or property tax paid and a maximum rebate of $192 for heating expenses.
Many Coloradans may be eligible for this PTC rebate, which is available every year. It has been available to Colorado residents since 1979. The actual rebate total is based on the applicant’s income and expenses. Any Colorado resident who meets the requirements for the rebate should submit the 2012 rebate application, Form 104 PTC, beginning Jan. 1. The application is available on the Department of Revenue’s Taxation website at www.TaxColorado.com. Click the “PTC” button at the top of the page.
What are the eligibility requirements?
• Resided in Colorado the enitre year.
• Are lawfully present in the United States. Complete the DR 4679 PTC lawful presence affidavit.
• Single person with total income of less than $12,313.
• Married couple with total combined income of less than $16,205.
• You (either husband or wife) are 65 or older by Dec. 31, or are a surviving spouse at least 58 years old by Dec. 31, or
• You were disabled for the entire year, regardless of age.
• You are not claimed as a dependent on any other person’s federal income tax return.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply for the rebate with the 104 PTC form and the lawful presence affidavit, which are contained in the 104 PTC booklet. Visit www.TaxColorado.com Click on the PTC button at the top of the page.
How can you check the status of your rebate check?
The status of your PTC rebate will not be available until April 15, 2013 (at the earliest), or 12 weeks after the application is filed. Depending on when your application is approved, installment payments are issued in April, July, October and January.
If you have Internet access, go to www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline and click on Individual to check the status of your most current installment payment. This system will not show your full rebate amount.