Terms and conditions of use
All materials on this site are copyright Pagosa Springs SUN Publishing, Inc., The Pagosa Springs SUN and Preview A&E, Pagosa Springs Official Visitor Guide™, explore pagosa, pagosa.info and pagosasun.com, or used with permission. All rights reserved.
The Pagosa Springs SUN has always taken copyright issues very seriously, both as a creator of content and as a user of other people’s content. In fact, everything that appears in a typical edition of the newspaper is copyright protected.
The federal Copyright Act protects our right and our readers’ rights to make fair use of copyrighted content. We have no issue with people who quote a small amount of a SUN story so as to comment on it, perhaps even criticize us.
We understand people may want to share what they find interesting in our publication. This is a reminder that there is a right way to do it.
We intend to remain a vital and trusted source for unique and unduplicated reporting on the concerns and issues affecting you and our community.
Trademarks, copyrights and restrictions
All materials on this site, including, but not limited to, articles, columns, blogs, images, illustrations, audio clips, video clips, 360-degree panoramas, photos with audio captions (the “Materials”) are protected by copyrights which are owned or licensed by the Company.
You may not reproduce, perform, create derivative works from, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way whatsoever any Materials from www.pagosasun.com and any other Web site owned or operated by the Company without the prior written permission of the Company. However, you may download or make one copy of the Materials, and other downloadable items displayed on the site, for personal non-commercial home use only consistent with the purpose for which the Materials are made available by the Company, provided all copyright and other notices contained in the Materials are left intact.
Any modification of the Materials, or any portion thereof, or use of the Materials for any other purpose constitutes an infringement of the Company’s copyrights and other proprietary rights. Use of these Materials on any other Web site or other networked computer environment, is prohibited without prior written permission from the Company.
It is acceptable and approved to link to any of our materials, including “deep links” to our site. Text from our stories can be quoted when linking to our content, but it must not be more than one-tenth of the total word count of the story or 100 words, whichever is lesser. Quoted content must contain a direct link to the story from which it is taken. Quoted content must be attributed to The Pagosa Springs SUN and PagosaSUN.com. If an image is being used in the link to pagosasun.com’s content, it must not be larger than 300 pixels wide and must link to the exact page on our site in which the original image can be found.
If features on this site are available to “embed” it is acceptable and approved to add those features to another site if this site’s “embed” code is used.
Copyright on materials contributed by The Pagosa Springs SUN and its affiliate publications readers and/or members is held by the individual creators.
All postings, messages, text, files, articles, columns, blogs, images, graphics, photos, audio clips, sounds, video or other materials (the “Content”) posted on, transmitted through, or linked from the Site, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. You are entirely responsible for all Content that you post, e-mail or otherwise make available through the Site. For all Content provided by you, you agree to indemnify Provider as provided below. By uploading or otherwise posting any Content on the Site, you represent and warrant: (i) you own or otherwise have all necessary rights, including but not limited to copyrights, to the content you provide and the rights to use it as provided in this Terms of Service; (ii) all information you provide is true, accurate, current and complete, and does not violate these Terms of Service; and, (iii) the content will not cause injury to any person or entity.
You agree not to upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish in these or any other Forums connected with the Company any Materials which are: 1. libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, pornographic, threatening, or an invasion of privacy; 2. an infringement of the intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights and trademarks, of any person or entity; 3. illegal in any way or which advocate illegal activity; 4. an advertisement or solicitation of funds, goods, or services, or that contain hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion. 5. private personal information published without consent.
Specific terms of service related to reader comments
By posting on pagosasun.com stories, blogs, or any other part of this site, you:
• Agree that your comment may be printed as a Letter to the Editor in the print version of The Pagosa Springs SUN.
• Agree not to solicit others. You agree not to use this site’s commenting features to advertise or to solicit anyone to buy or sell products or services, or to make donations of any kind, without the Company’s express written approval;
• Agree not to have multiple personalities on our site’s commenting features. Each reader may have only one log-in. Usage of multiple log-ins will result in our removing your posting privileges.
• Agree not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available through this site any libelous, defamatory, obscene, harmful, vulgar, threatening, tortuous, harassing, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise illegal material;
• Agree not to post in manner than emulates, purports or pretends to be someone else. Under no circumstances are readers posting to this site to knowingly use the name or identity of another person, whether that is another reader on this site, a public figure, celebrity, elected official, etc … This also means that readers will not knowingly give out any personal information of other members of these forums;
• Agree not to self-promote with links to your own blog or website;
• Agree to be civil. The company wants to encourage dialogue and debate that leads to greater understanding. Our goal is to elevate the daily conversation. This means comments should be relevant and contain no abusive or profane language. Comments may be deleted at the sole discretion of the company;
• Agree not to use this forum for personal attacks. This includes any sort of personal attack — including, but not limited to the people in our stories, the journalists who create these stories, or anyone else in this community;
• Agree not to post the exact same (or very similar) comment on multiple stories;
• Agree not to engage in flame wars or troll our comment threads;
• Agree not to post in all caps.
• Agree not to publish personal/contact information about any readers or story/photo/video/blog subjects you obtain via information obtained from this site. If you do so, The Pagosa Springs SUN retains the right to ban your account and to use personal information identifying who you are to help in any legal cases brought against you for such actions.
• Agree you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your login name and password and you accept responsibility for all activities, charges and damages that occur under your account. You must provide accurate and complete registration information from you, if requested, and must keep that information up to date.
• The management and editors of pagosasun.com retain the right to remove individual posts or to revoke the access privileges of anyone who we believe has violated any of these terms or any other term of this agreement.
For all such information and material, you grant Pagosa Springs SUN Publishing, Inc., its affiliates and related entities, and its affiliated newspaper, a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, copy, modify, display, archive, store, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works from such information, in any form, media, software or technology of any kind now existing or developed in the future.
No pre-screening or editing
This site offers weblogs, forums, photo galleries and other interactive areas where users can express opinions and share ideas and information.
The Pagosa Springs SUN cannot and does not monitor all of the material posted or transmitted to the Site. Additionally, the Company does not control, and is not responsible for, Content made available through the Site by members.
By using the Site, you may be exposed to Content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of the Site and any of its Content, including but not limited to whether you should rely on said Content.
You also agree that under no circumstances will The Pagosa Springs SUN or its affiliates be liable in any way for any Content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, e-mailed or otherwise made available via the Site.
You acknowledge that Provider does not pre-screen or approve Content, but that the Company shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any Content that is available via the Site, for violating the letter or spirit of the Terms or for any other reason.
The Company reserves the right to delete any posting, message or photograph at any time, for any reason or no reason.
The Company does not warrant that the services, any of the services’ functions, or any content or software contained therein will be uninterrupted or error-free; that defects will be corrected; that the services or the servers hosting them are free of viruses or other harmful code; or that the services or information available through the services will continue to be available.
Your access to and use of these services is at your own risk. If you are dissatisfied with the services or any of the content, your sole remedy is to discontinue accessing and using the services.
The Company may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the site, including, but not limited to, any bulletin boards on its site, for any reason, including without limitation, breach of this agreement. In the event this agreement is terminated, the restrictions regarding Materials appearing on the site, and the representations and warranties, indemnities, and limitations of liabilities set forth in this agreement shall survive any such termination.
This site is controlled and operated by the Company from the Company’s headquarters in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. The Company does not represent or warrant that Materials on the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations. If you choose to access this site from other locations, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with any and all local laws.
This agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Colorado, as it is applied to agreements entered into and performed within that State. Any action brought to enforce this agreement or matters related to the site shall be brought in either the State or Federal Courts of Colorado.
If any provision of this agreement is deemed void, unlawful or otherwise unenforceable for any reason, that provision shall be severed from this agreement and the remaining provisions of this agreement shall remain in force.
This contains the entire agreement between you and the Company concerning your use of the site.