By Carole Howard | Thingamajig Theatre Company
Thingamajig Theatre Company’s “Bright Star” summer production was honored with five nominations, including best musical, in the 2022 statewide contest currently being conducted by BroadwayWorld Denver.
The other four honors for “Bright Star” in this respected competition were nominations for Allie Tamburello, Cassandra Brooks, Ethan Hardy Benson and Tyler Price Robinson for best performance in a musical.
As well, the theater’s “SpongeBob SquarePants” musical drew a nomination for best director of a musical for Dustin Hebert.
Thingamajig is housed in the Pagosa Springs Center for the Arts.
“Bright Star,” set in North Carolina in the 1920s and ‘40s, is a powerful drama featuring a bluegrass score composed by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell reminiscent of music that originated in the Appalachian region of the U.S.
“SpongeBob SquarePants,” which takes place in the underwater world of Bikini Bottom, is a family-friendly musical based on the Nickelodeon animated TV series.
Said Tim Moore, producing artistic director and co-founder of the theater with his wife, Laura, executive director, when the nominations were announced: “A famous English actor named Kenneth Haigh once said that you need three things for success in the theater — the play, the actors and the audience, and each must give something.
“BroadwayWorld Denver’s annual competition is notable because it is audience driven, with the audience doing both the nominating and the voting.”
BroadwayWorld oversees the largest theater audience awards on the globe, covering Broadway in New York, the West End in London and many other key artistic locations in the U.S. and worldwide. Altogether, its reach includes more than 100 cities in Asia, Canada, Europe, Central and South America, as well as in the U.S.
Thingamajig competes in the impressive Denver regional professional theater market, which means that the caliber of the competition is high. This year’s productions included in the voting had their first performance between Oct. 1, 2021, through Sept. 30, 2022. Voting will continue through Dec. 31.
Winners will be announced in January.
How to vote
If you want to vote in this awards contest, go to https://www.broadwayworld.com/denver/article/Voting-Now-Open-For-The-2022-BroadwayWorld-Denver-Awards-20221111. Online voting is underway now.
Here are some tips to make the voting easier:
• If the site gets overloaded, it can be slow or it may time you out. If this happens, just log in again and start over from the beginning of the ballot.
• You don’t have to vote in every category if you are not familiar with the shows. Just check the top line in each category, “No nominee.”
• Be sure to fill out the required information boxes at the end of the ballot or your vote will not be counted. Note that not all the information it requests is required.
• Very quickly after you finish voting, you will receive an email confirming your vote. You need to click on the “Click Here to Confirm Your Vote” line. Unconfirmed ballots will be discarded.
• If you do not see that email in your mail, check your spam to ensure your vote is counted.
Thingamajig Theatre Company was co-founded in 2011 by Tim and Laura Moore. It is an award-winning professional nonprofit 501(c)(3) theater in residence within the Pagosa Springs Center for the Arts.
Its talented actors, directors and designers come from across the U.S. and Canada to produce musicals, comedies and dramas for local and out-of-town audiences. As well, Thingamajig is dedicated to providing educational opportunities for youth and teens in our community.