By Joe King
Veterans for Veterans of Archuleta County
Veterans for Veterans of Archuleta County is proud to announce the selection of six Pagosa Springs High School students to receive the 2021 Eleanor “Benny” Lohman Memorial Scholarship.
One-hundred-year-old Benny was a longtime resident of Pagosa Springs along with her husband, Sandy. She passed on in January of 2020.
The students will receive a $500 check to help with their education expenses.
The selectees are:
• Cameron Lucero, who plans to study business management. Lucero credits his grandfather’s service in the Army as an inspiration to him.
• Dylan Manzanares, who is planning to study business administration. His grandfather was a Vietnam veteran who served in the Army.
• Kelsi Rollins, who will study business and economics. Rollins’ mother and father served in the Army.
• Madeline Metzger, who plans to study nursing. Metzger’s father is an Air Force veteran.
• Megan Greenly, who will study apparel design and production. Her father is an Army veteran.
• Nolan Kay, who will study engineering. Kay’s father was a Marine veteran who served during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
Veterans for Veterans of Archuleta County congratulates each of these students and wishes them the best as they move on with their education. The scholarships will be awarded at the May 4 breakfast meeting at 9 a.m. at the Tennyson Event Center.
Veterans for Veterans of Archuleta County is a partnership of veterans focused on veterans and their families, moving toward independence, wellness, self-sufficiency, empowerment and dignity.