We’ve been writing about the replacement of the state-supported Elwood Pass route into Pagosa Springs across the San Juan Mountains. The Elwood Pass route had been destroyed by flood in 1911.
The decision to replace the old route with Wolf Creek Pass was not made until 1914, after much time was spent examining all possible routes. Much politics was involved in the final choice. Construction of Wolf Creek Pass started in 1914 and continued over the next two years, with the official opening ceremonies taking place Aug. 21, 1916.