Lady Pirates 1-2 in league action


    Staff Writer

    It was a busy week for the Lady Pirates as the team hit the road for Telluride on Friday, traveled to Ridgway on Saturday, then came home to host Alamosa Tuesday.


    At first it appeared the Pirates were ready to get revenge for the 4-1 loss the Miners handed them last month.

    “Our hard work in practice paid off,” Coach Lindsey Kurt-Mason affirmed. “For the first 25 minutes of the half we were setting the tempo, keeping possession and creating numerous scoring chances.”

    The first goal of the game belonged to the Pirates.

    “In the sixteenth minute Katie Blue hit one from outside the box that sailed over the keeper’s hands,” the coach explained. Blue kept the pressure on the Miners, earning credit for three more shots.

    “Minutes later, Anissa Lucero had a run into the Telluride box,” Kurt-Mason added, “and went one-on-one with their keeper. Somehow their goalie got a hand on Anissa’s shot and put it wide; that would have been a real dagger in Telluride’s efforts.” Lucero got credit for one additional shot.

    Maddy Davey was the shot leader with four, while Angie Gallegos and Johanna Laverty each made two shots and Olivia Reinhardt, Brooke Bowdridge and Shanelle Wilson got credit for one each.

    However, as the coach explained, “Telluride is such a good team that they came back, found their rhythm and speed, and scored from three direct kicks from distance.”

    “The second half we made some adjustments and created four more scoring chances, but Telluride scored on a counter attack.”

    Goalkeeper Rose Graveson, despite the four that got by her, made 19 saves and played all 80 minutes of the game. She was named Player of the Game, and in the citation Kurt-Mason wrote, “Rose played her best game of the season. She was an inspiration to the rest of the team with numerous saves and great distribution.”

    In the end, the final score was a repeat of the previous game: a 4-1 victory for the Miners.


    The next day the Pirates found themselves in Ridgway battling the Demons.

    “It was a beautiful day in Ridgway,” Kurt-Mason described, “playing on a new field at their high school. The girls played great soccer from the start — possession, good tempo, solid defense and, in total, 46 shots on the goal.”

    Davey set the pace of the game early, scoring the first goal with only one minute gone from the clock. The Demons answered with a goal of their own six minutes later, but then Davey put up three more shots before halftime. She also got credit for an assist on the next Pirate goal.

    Lucero made two shots on the goal before she got the second goal 37 minutes into the game, tapping the ball into the net off an 18-yard pass from Davey.

    The Pirates’ third goal came from one of the freshman players off an assist by Laverty. “Olivia Reinhardt had her first career goal and played a spectacular game,” the coach said.

    Laverty had six shots during the first half, Bowdridge had five, and Gallegos had four, while Blue and Rylee Houston each made one shot.

    For the second half of the game the Pirates came out even stronger, scoring another goal within four minutes. “Brooke Bowdridge scored on a header,” the coach described.

    Lucero scored the next goal five minutes later, and then Davey got the next two at 21 and 33 minutes. The Demons responded with one goal of their own, but then the Pirates scored last, with only two minutes left in the game.

    “Johanna scored a beautiful goal from outside the eighteen to cap our eight goal total,” Kurt-Mason explained.

    In the second half Bowdridge had three more shots, as did Wilson, while Blue got off two shots, and Gallegos and Zenz each earned one more shot.

    While most of the action during both halves of the game occurred on the Demon end of the pitch, on the rare occasion the ball crossed the midfield line the Pirate defense was ready.

    “Haliegh Zenz and Katie Blue shot down most everything that Ridgway tried in our half,” the coach said. “Sara Chronowski had her first start as a keeper and nearly stopped a penalty kick and made four saves in the game.”

    The final score was an 8-2 victory for the Pirates.


    Tuesday afternoon was windy and dusty at Golden Peaks Stadium for the Pirates’ rematch against the Alamosa Maroons, which turned out to be a heated battle to the bitter end.

    “We came out fairly strong,” Kurt-Mason said, “passing the ball and scoring the first goal in the twelfth minute.”

    However, things soon went downhill after that.

    “Alamosa stepped up their passing and we were doing a lot of chasing,” the coach lamented. “They scored and we could not get out of a defensive posture — even when we got possession. We just passed or kicked the ball back into a crowd. We needed to settle the ball a bit more to allow us to get into an offensive shape. We lost composure.”

    Davey had five shots total, two of which made it into the back of the net. Laverty and Lucero each had two shots on the goal, while Gallegos and Bowdridge each had one.

    “Maddy had two nice goals from direct kicks,” Kurt-Mason described. “Katie Blue had a great penalty kick. We just could not get away from our defensive shape; therefore we created few scoring chances.”

    When the coach nominated Blue as the Player of the Game, he said she had, “one goal, one assist, and she kept us in the game to the very last second.” Blue also had one other shot on the goal.

    In the end the Maroons squeaked out a 4-3 win.

    Tomorrow evening, the Pirates travel to Bayfield to face the Wolverines in the last game of the regular season.