1. 402 Pagosa Street, Goodman’s Department Store

Following the departure of soldiers from Fort Lewis in 1880, pioneer David Lowenstein opened a clothing store at this location, conducting some of his business with Jicarilla Apache Indians. Through marriage, the Goodman family became associated with the business and eventually remodeled the structure in 1929 by completely enclosing the existing structure and then removing the old store from the inside without closing for a day. In 2000, Goodman’s Department Store celebrated its 100th year in the building, continuing its legacy as the longest-operating department store in Pagosa Springs. 

 

2. 418 and 422 Pagosa Street, Metropolitan Hotel and Liberty Theatr

Pagosa Lumber Company founder A.T. Sullenberger purchased the two-story brick building at this location in 1918, which was previously occupied by Archuleta Mercantile and built by J.M. Archuleta Jr. in the early 1900s. After a fire destroyed the structure in 1919, Sullenberger constructed the Metropolitan Hotel, which featured modern rooms, hot baths for guests and a motion-picture theatre.

 

3. 426 Pagosa Street, Sparks Hardware

Constructed in 1919, this structure was originally occupied by Sparks Hardware. Archuleta Motors opened a garage in the building several decades later. After fire damaged the building in 1943, Ben Lynch Sr. moved Jackisch Drug to this location, where it was operated by the Lynch family until 2004.

 

 

4. 452 Pagosa Street, The Hersch Building

Built by Alice Phillips in 1898 and owned by the Hatcher Brothers from 1905 to 1921, this building was purchased in 1921 and became Hersch Mercantile. The building operated as Hersch Mercantile until the 1970s and has held numerous social and business functions, as well as the law offices of former Colorado Attorney General Alonzo Hubbard.

 

 

5. 456 Pagosa Street, La Cantina

Clock Dry Goods Company operated at this location beginning in 1903. The building was briefly known as the Colorado Tavern from 1937 to 1941. The building was purchased in 1941 and renamed La Cantina by the L.M. Archuleta family. The Archuleta family operated La Cantina into the late 1990s until the building was purchased; renovations followed shortly thereafter, in 2001.

 

6. 468 Pagosa Street, Hatcher Hardware

Beginning in 1905, Hatcher Hardware operated at this location for several decades, often sharing ownership of the building with Citizens Bank. In 1943, a fire almost completely destroyed the building. The existing building was constructed following the fire. At the rear of the property is the town’s second geothermal well, which was drilled in 1920. The wellhead has the ability to pump approximately 675 gallons per minute and was previously used to heat the building.

 

7. 474 Pagosa Street, Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank operated at this corner location for more than 70 years. Fred Catchpole opened the bank following the closure of First National Bank in 1908. The original building, constructed in 1910, was a two-story structure. The structure was remodeled into a one-story building after a fire damaged the second floor in 1943. Catchpole served as county commissioner and county treasurer and was also influential in the construction of the Wolf Creek Pass road. The original bank vault and Wells Fargo safe still remain inside.

 

8. 449 San Juan Street, Archuleta County Courthouse

In 1927, Jay Catchpole approached the Archuleta County Commission and suggested the county purchase the old First National Bank building, along with the adjoining lot to construct a courthouse. The property was purchased for $5,000 and in 1929, the county moved into its new offices. This building has operated as the Archuleta County Courthouse since 1929 and utilizes a geothermal well behind the building. The original bank vault still exists within the courthouse.

 

9. 480 San Juan Street, Moorehead Garage

This building originally functioned as a service station and auto garage and was constructed sometime between 1935 and 1937. A fire in 1943 destroyed a large portion of the structure. Numerous renovations have been completed since the fire, including significant restoration in 2005.

 

10. 468 Lewis Street, San Juan Supply

Ralph Morgan constructed this building in 1918 and opened the Electric Garage. The property was purchased by C.O. Dunagan in 1925 and later sold to the Schoonover family. In the 1930s, Paul and Virginia Decker became partners with the Schoonover family and operated San Juan Supply into the mid 1980s. The building has served a variety of commercial enterprises since the closure of San Juan Supply.

 

11. 444 Lewis Street, Sparks Residence

This ornamental concrete block building was constructed by Ethel Sparks in 1910. The home was purchased by Bryce and Julia Patterson in 1912. The Pattersons moved to town in 1904 and operated the Arlington Hotel and Bath House, which was across the street from the residence, until 1936.

 

 

 

12. 451 Lewis Street, Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church

This building was constructed in 1948 to accommodate an increased congregation at the existing Saint Edwards Catholic Church. The church was dedicated as the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on May 22, 1949. The original stained glass windows were imported from Spain. Saint Edwards Catholic Church was destroyed by fire in the 1950s.

 

 

13. 409 Lewis Street, Ray’s Hair Care

Located where the old Fort Lewis military paymaster’s office may have stood, this building was constructed in 1902 by either Joseph Clarke or William Kester. The building has housed a number of businesses throughout the years, with Ray’s Hair Care operating at this location since 1976.

 

 

14. 380 Lewis Street, County Jail and Medical Office

County records show the jail may have been located on this property prior to 1936. The existing residence was built in the mid-1930s for a local medical doctor. The residence’s architecture exemplifies the use of local stone materials.

 

 

15. 338 Pagosa Street, Pagosa Springs Middle School

Pagosa Springs’ school was completely destroyed by fire in 1924. For a year, students attended school in churches, businesses and the Odd Fellows Lodge until this building, the new school, was finished in 1925. The building was constructed to be totally fireproof, with ramps instead of stairs, which was thought to be safer. The school originally housed all grade levels; however, today the school accommodates only fifth- and sixth-grade students.

 

16. 302 Lewis Street, Catchpole Residence

This residence was constructed as a Queen Anne-style home by Fred and Mabel Catchpole in 1910. From 1996 to 2002, the home experienced extensive remodeling, including siding, shingles, doors, windows and roof. The Catchpoles were active community members, with Fred serving terms as county commissioner and county treasurer, and Mabel serving terms on the school board and Methodist Church board. The residence is no longer owned by the Catchpole family.