If you or another adult or family you know would like to expand some lifelong learning opportunities, Archuleta County Education Center has many classes this fall to help meet your needs.
Computer classes consisting of Microsoft applications:
• Introduction to Word, one session, three hours of instruction. Class is taught by Pat Attanasio for $50, on Saturday, Oct. 20, from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Advanced Excel, two sessions, four hours of instruction. Pre-requisite is our Introduction to Excel class or that you be a current Excel user. Pat Attanasio will be the instructor on Monday, Nov. 5, and Wednesday, Nov. 7, from 6-8 p.m., for $50.
• Publisher will also be offered this fall in one session, three hours of instruction. We will teach you how to design brochures, cards, invitations and party items. Pat Attanasio will be the instructor on Saturday, Nov. 10, from 9 a.m. to noon. $50.
Other classes are available, including:
• Jewelry Making for Yourself or Others: three sessions each, six hours of instruction will include all materials needed for your designs. A perfect class just in time for making holiday gifts. Elizabeth Baldwin is the certified jewelry instructor and has several class options: $25 for individual classes or $65 for all three sessions, Saturdays, Nov. 3,10 and 17, from 10 a.m.- noon — Saturdays, Jan. 26, Feb. 22 and 29, also from 10 a.m.-noon.
• First Aid/CPR is offered monthly at the Education Center. We will rotate evening classes and Saturday classes through the winter. First Aid certificates are good for three years, CPR certificates are good for two years. Our next scheduled First Aid/CPR class is Nov. 12 and 4 from 6-10 p.m. each night — $70 for the package, $55 for CPR only or $55 for First Aid only. Check the website at www.archuletacountyeducationcenter.com for the full schedule.
• GED test preparation is currently being offered Monday-Thursday from 2-7 p.m. There is an annual $15 registration fee and each of the five tests are $35 each.
• English as a Second Language classes are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-7 p.m. for an annual $15 registration fee. Free child care is available.
• After-school tutoring is in full swing at the elementary and middle schools. Programs are run by licensed Colorado teachers and will help students focus on current classroom curriculum. Each program meets at your student’s school from dismissal to 5:15 p.m., Monday-Thursday. There is annual registration fee of $15, which helps pay for daily snacks and instruction.
• After-school enrichment classes are also being offered at the elementary school. Cooking classes are offered on Mondays and Tuesdays, with art on Wednesdays and Thursdays from dismissal to 5:15 p.m. We also have a Fun Friday class starting soon. Parents register their children for a month at a time, so prices vary depending on how many days the students choose to attend. Generally, Monday-Thursday classes are $8 per day and Friday classes are $15 per day. Classes fill up quickly, so early registration is suggested.
• Partnership with Southwest Colorado Community College classes and their Alternative High School Diploma Program are also hosted at our facility.
For more details, check out the website at www.archuletacountyeducationcenter.com, stop into the facility at the corner of 4th and Lewis streets, or give us a call at 264-2835.