The Pagosa Pregnancy Support Center (PPSC) is now offering an exciting new program for women in their first trimester of pregnancy. It is called “First Trimester Orientation” and held on the first Tuesday of the month from 2-3:30 p.m. The first class will be on June 5.
PPSC is dedicated to helping mothers of all ages get the very important first trimester off to a better start. There will be a number of speakers and topics to be covered including:
• Lesson on prenatal nutrition from a local author and chef.
• Prenatal yoga teacher.
• Physical therapist to discuss proper body mechanics.
• Pagosa Mountain Clinic prenatal providers.
• Physician who will discuss the benefits of breast feeding.
• Durango physicians who deliver babies.
• Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
• Nurse Family Partnership.
• San Juan Basin Health Department.
• Department of Human Services.
• And a few surprises!
Liz Moran, the nurse manager at PPSC, will cover the basics of a healthy and successful pregnancy, such as smoking cessation resources, basic dos and don’ts, healthy weight gain, education on herbal supplements, morning sickness remedies, and will provide medical referrals and a discussion of childbirth classes available for later on in the pregnancy. There will also be brochures and handouts available with additional important information.
For more information on the new program, or for any aspect of the PPSC including volunteering, please contact the Pagosa Pregnancy Support Center at 264-5963.