“Montage: A Quilt Show” opens Saturday, May 12, along with the opening of the San Juan Historical Society Museum.
The museum has been vacuumed, dusted and shined for visitors to enjoy. History is the focus with displays ranging from household items to farming and ranching, railroad and business.
Among the thousands of artifacts you’ll find treasures like the cash register from the Hatcher Mercantile Company and the teller’s cage and safe from Citizens Bank. Today’s cooks will appreciate their modern conveniences after perusing the antique food chopper and wood-fired cook stove. A glance at the early switchboards from Pagosa Springs’ telephone office serve as a reminder of how convenient communications have become over the past one hundred years.
The quilts on display this summer date from the late 1800s to present. This is truly a montage of quilts and includes two double wedding ring quilts, two pine tree quilts in very different styles, a gorgeous basket quilt set in reds and so much more.
You’ll want to be sure to see both pine tree quilts in this summer’s display. Dr. A.J. Nossaman’s sister, Sally, made one of the pine tree quilts in the late 1800s as a gift for the wedding of the doctor to Emma Welch. Dr. Nossaman served the people of Pagosa Springs from 1903 until 1931. He had a beautiful home on the San Juan River, which was washed away in the flood of October 1911. Following that tragedy, he build a home on Pagosa Street, which is still standing, has housed numerous businesses and is remembered by many as the home of Victoria’s Parlor.
The museum gift shop will offer a nice selection of quilting and regional history books, tote bags and purses, historic playing cards and old photographs from this area.
Admission to the museum is free. Expenses for operation of the museum are covered through donations and gift shop sales.
The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at 96 Pagosa St., the corner of U.S. 160 and First Street in downtown Pagosa Springs.