We continue publishing short biographies of Pagosa pioneers.
Most of these bios contain information as to where the pioneer moved from, their age, occupation, relevant family information and, in most cases, describe their contribution to Pagosa Country history.
Mary Margaret Stafford Cade (Grandma Cade) was born Jan. 15, 1835, in Hendricks County, Ind. She died Aug. 15, 1923, in Pagosa Springs. At the age of 21, she married Isaac Cade. They lived in Sandborn, Ind., until the fall of 1879, when they moved to Pagosa Springs. In 1879, Fort Lewis was still an active army base located along Pagosa Street on Block 21, the current main business block in town.
Civilians without a pass were not allowed to cross the bridge onto the military reservation. Consequently, the Cades settled on San Juan Street on the east side of the river. There they built a hotel called the San Juan Hotel, located on the north side of San Juan Street and backing up to the river. The frame hotel building was a local landmark until it burned sometime between 1910 and 1920.
As did many other Pagosa pioneers, the Cades maintained a residence in town and also homesteaded 160 acres of country land. The Cade Ranch was located on the south side of Pagosa Peak in a well-watered location known to this day as Cade Flats, also currently a subdivision. The ranch can be reached from town by a decent road called Four Mile Road which follows Four Mile Creek to the Four Mile Creek trailhead.
The Cade couple produced six children, three of whom died in infancy. All of the children and their families were well known to Pagosa oldtimers.
The oldest daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Dunnavent, died in Pagosa Springs in 1900, and another daughter, Mrs. Katie Clark, died at Durango Nov. 5, 1921. Isaac Cade passed away in 1888. Another daughter, Mrs. Maude Hart, passed away Sept. 21, 1951. Grandchildren were Mrs. Bonnie Stafford, Mrs. Cleo Rossell, Isaac Clark, Mrs. Gladys Duxstad, Walter Clark, Mrs. Mabel Lynch and Lloyd Clark.
Ephraim Kelly Caldwell (Judge Caldwell) was born in Ohio Dec. 19, 1842, and died Sept. 26, 1915, at Cedar Hill, N.M.
Ephraim entered the Union Army June 15, 1861, where he served in Company C of the First Nebraska Cavalry.
He married Cynthia Dykes March 18, 1869, in Omaha, Neb. The couple lived for a short while in Missouri, then moved to northern New Mexico during the early 1870s. He is said to have brought the first sawmill to Chama, N.M. He also lived and sawmilled in Amargo and Monero in New Mexico before moving to Pagosa Junction in Colorado. Subsequently, he moved to Pagosa Springs where he lived nearly 40 years, serving eight years as county judge, two years as town mayor, and was a precinct justice at the time of his death.
The couple had eight children, of whom seven survived. They were Alvin B. Caldwell, Daniel E. Caldwell, Frederick D. Caldwell, Leora C. Dunlap, David W. Caldwell, Mrs. Elsie Shipman, and Lewis Caldwell.