Bookmark and Share

Obtaining veteran service records

Military personnel records can be used for proving military service or as a valuable tool in genealogical research. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records several ways.

The eVetRecs system creates a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative’s, military personnel records. You may use this system if you are:

• A military veteran, or

• Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. The next of kin can be any of the following:

A surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, brother.

If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete the Standard Form 180 (SF 180). See Access to Military Records by the General Public for more details.

Your request must contain certain basic information for us to locate your service records. This information includes:

• The veteran’s complete name used while in service

• Service number

• Social security number

• Branch of service

• Dates of service

• Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).

If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:

• Place of discharge

• Last unit of assignment

• Place of entry into the service, if known.

All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of death certificate, letter from a funeral home or published obituary.

While this information is not required, it is extremely helpful to NPRC staff in understanding and fulfilling your request:

• The purpose or reason for your request, such as applying for veterans benefits, preparing to retire or researching your personal military history.

• Any deadlines related to your request. We will do our best to meet any priorities. For example, you may be applying for a VA-guaranteed Home Loan and need to provide proof of military service by a specific date.

• Any other specific information, documents or records you require from your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) besides your Report of Separation (DD Form 214).

For additional details on what information may or may not be included, please see the Special Notice to Veterans and Family Members regarding requests for copies of military personnel and/or medical files.

If there is an emergency or deadline associated with your request, please explain this in the “Comments” section of eVetRecs or in the “Purpose” section of the SF-180 so that we fully understand the situation and we will do our best to meet your priority.

If your request involves a burial in a National Cemetery operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the cemetery staff will work directly with us to obtain the required records for the service. If your request involves funeral services provided by a non-VA/private provider, the next-of-kin may fax the request (including signature of the next-of-kin) to at (314) 801-0764. If your request involves the burial of a Marine Corps veteran, you may contact the USMC Liaison Officer at (314) 538-3155.

You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives’s National Personnel Record Center (NPRC). Most, but not all, records are stored at the NPRC. Be sure to use the address specified by eVetRecs or the instructions on the SF-180.   Locations of Military Service Records.

The NPRC fax number is (314) 801-9195 and the NPRC mailing address is:

National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. The phone number is (314) 801-0800.

Please stop by the Archuleta County Veterans Service Office for assistance with your military records requests.

DAV vans

The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) organization is running a VAHC van from Durango on Tuesdays and Thursdays, call (505) 239-2769, and from the Farmington area on Mondays and Wednesdays, call (505) 793-2915 or (505) 325-4775.

Durango VA Clinic

The Durango VA Outpatient Clinic is located at 1970 E. 3rd Ave., Durango, C) 81301 (The old Mercy Medical Center). The phone number is (970) 247-2214.

For further information

For information on these and other veteran’s benefits, please call or stop by the Archuleta County Veterans Service Office located at the Senior Center in the Pagosa Springs Community Center on Hot Springs Blvd. The office number is 264-4013, the fax number is 264-4014, cell number is 946-6648, and e-mail is

The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Bring your DD Form 214 (Discharge) for application for VA programs, and for filing in the VSO office.