In the early 1900s, the men and women of Pagosa Springs were looking for more in their community than the saloons and gambling establishments of the gold and silver get-rich-quick days. They wanted a place where people worked together to build a community and where parents could raise children in the beauty of God’s creation.
In the spring of 1905, Episcopal Bishop Spaulding visited Pagosa Springs and also deemed it to be an impressive community and desired to start an Episcopal Church in the area.
It was however many years before sufficient population growth and a commitment to ministry were developed for the area. St. Patrick’s Episcopal Church dedicated their first facility in October 1968 with funds provided anonymously by an Episcopalian from Atlanta who wanted his mother, who summered in Pagosa Springs, to have a church home while in Colorado. He purchased two acres and provided funding for the new church facility on the corner of Lewis and First Street.
St. Patrick’s Church has grown dramatically since the first church family was assembled. A larger facility on South Pagosa Boulevard with room for expansion has been constructed and ministry to the community and beyond has dramatically increased. Pagosa Springs is indeed a wonderful place to raise a family or to retire and an exceptional place to build a church community in the beauty and serenity of the mountains.
St. Patrick’s Episcopal Church invites the community to join us as we celebrate our 4oth anniversary in Pagosa Springs. Sunday morning church services on November 7th will include a celebratory service followed by a reception in the Parish Hall. A number of priests who have served the congregation will join the weekend of festivities including Bob Pope, Scott Hollenbeck, Annie Ryder, Andrew Cooley and James Ragsdale.
Please join St. Patrick’s congregation as we celebrate our exciting history in Pagosa Springs and look forward to expanding our services to our community.