Bookmark and Share

Emergency medical care in non-VA facilities

VA may reimburse or pay for medical care provided to certain enrolled or otherwise eligible veterans by non-VA facilities, but only in cases of medical emergencies where VA or other federal facilities were not feasibly available.

Other conditions also apply.

To determine eligibility or initiate a claim, contact the VA medical facility nearest to where the emergency service was provided. VA’s Foreign Medical Program VA will pay for medical services for service-connected disabilities or any disability associated with and found to be aggravating a service-connected disability for those veterans living or traveling outside the United States. This program will also reimburse for the treatment of foreign medical services needed as part of a vocational rehabilitation program. Veterans living in the Philippines should register with the U.S. Veterans Affairs office in Pasay City, telephone 011-632-838-4566. All other veterans living or planning to travel outside the U.S. should register with the Denver Foreign Medical Program office, P.O. Box 469061, Denver, CO 80246-9061, USA; telephone (303) 331-7590. For information visit:

Some veterans traveling or living overseas can telephone the Foreign Medical Program toll free from these countries: Germany 0800-1800-011; Australia 1800-354-965; Italy 800-782-655; United Kingdom (England and Scotland) 0800-032-7425; Mexico 001-877-345-8179; Japan 00531-13-0871; Costa Rica 0800-013-0759; and Spain 900-981-776. (Note: Veterans in Mexico or Costa Rica must first dial the United States country code.)

Online health services

My HealtheVet ( is VA’s award-winning e-health Web site, which offers veterans, active duty soldiers and their dependents and caregivers anywhere, anytime Internet access to VA health care information and services.

Veterans can better manage their health care and make informed decisions in collaboration with their health care providers.

To register, veterans simply need to go to Web site. With My HealtheVet, registrants can access: VA benefits and services; local VA events and activities, personal health journals, tracking and graphing of vitals, military health history, activity/food journals, trusted health information and more.

Veterans who receive care at a VA facility should ask about In Person Authentication or “IPA” to obtain an upgraded account which offers additional access to key features such as:

1. Refill VA prescriptions by name.

2. View VA appointments (coming in 2009).

3. Obtain personalized VA appointment reminders and view the VA appointments (coming in 2009).

4. Obtain personalized VA wellness reminders (coming in 2009).

5. Communicate with participating health care providers through secure messaging (coming to local facilities throughout 2009 and 2010).

6. View lab results (coming 2010).

DAV vans

The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) organization is running a VAHC van from Durango on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call Mike Dunaway, 247-2198, and from the Farmington area on Mondays and Wednesdays, call Harriet Mulnix, (505) 793-1782.

Durango VA Clinic

The Durango VA Outpatient Clinic is located at 1970 E. 3rd Ave. Durango, CO 81301 (the old Mercy Medical Center). Phone?number is?247-2214.

Further information

For information on these and other veterans’ benefits, please call or stop by the Archuleta County Veterans Service Office located at the Senior Center in the Pagosa Springs Community Center on Hot Springs Blvd. The office number is 264-4013, the fax number is 264-4014, cell number is 946-6648, and e-mail is The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Bring your DD Form 214 (Discharge) for application for VA programs, and for filing in the VSO office.