Bookmark and Share

VAHC travel money roundup and other news

There’s good news and bad news on VAHC travel money, so I hope you read this information closely.

The good news is we have been approved for a new Colorado Veterans Trust Fund Grant again this year (2009-10) for another $24,000. This is the money that we have been fortunate to obtain each year to assist our local veterans with their travel costs to VA Health Care appointments. We will be able to continue with our reimbursement for travel costs to your VAHC appointments.

The bad news, I won’t have this travel money available until probably sometime in August, realistically. That’s how long it takes to finalize the grant processes with the state, our American Legion Post, etc. Meanwhile, we don’t have any cash for reimbursement of your travel costs at this time.

More good news

More good news, though: we do have gas and motel cards to pay for these needs.

You need to contact this office in advance of your scheduled trip to a VAHC appointment so we can arrange to give you one of these cards for your expenses.

This travel card will pay for your gas and lodging needs. The only requirements are that you are an Archuleta County veteran and on file in this office with current contact information, that you keep all of your receipts on your trip, and return them with the card by the following morning after you return from your appointment. No exceptions.

Of course, some of you are eligible for travel pay from the VAMC in Albuquerque for any of your travel costs to Durango, Farmington or Albuquerque. Sometimes VAMC Albuquerque will provide you with overnight accommodations. In that case, you won’t need a travel card from us. In some other cases you may get gas money from Albuquerque VAMC, but they don’t have any motel rooms available so you will need one of our cards to pay for your room. Check with us and we can determine your needs.

We will reimburse retroactively for trips already made to VAHC appointments when we do obtain our grant money.

Support our local American Legion Post 108. We owe them a big thank you for all their community efforts including our Colorado VTF Grants.

DAV vans

The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) organization is running a VAHC van from Durango on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call Mike Dunaway, 247-2198, and from the Farmington area on Mondays and Wednesdays, call Harriet Mulnix, (505) 793-1782.

Further information

For information on these and other veterans’ benefits, please call or stop by the Archuleta County Veterans Service Office located at the Senior Center in the Pagosa Springs Community Center on Hot Springs Blvd. The office number is 264-4013, the fax number is 264-4014, cell number is 946-6648.