Juanita Bridge complete, ribbon-cutting ceremony next week

Archuleta County is pleased to announce the completion of the replacement of the Juanita Bridge.

The bridge allows passage over the San Juan River on County Road 551.

In 2005, Juanita Bridge received a sufficiency rating of 37.5 (out of 100) which qualified the bridge for federal funds for replacement. The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) originally awarded funds in 2006, but the project was suspended during the 2007 county financial crisis. In 2008, the Board of County Commissioners approved the continuation of the project.

Short, Elliot and Hendrickson, Inc. (SEH) was the design and engineering firm that managed the project.

Bids for the project were submitted in June 2008, and the $1.18 million contract was awarded to Reiman Corporation.

The contract was signed in October and the Notice to Proceed was issued for December 8, 2008. A grant from CDOT funded 80 percent of the project, while Archuleta County funded the remaining 20 percent.

Archuleta County staff and elected officials will host a ribbon cutting, Tuesday, June 30, at 11 a.m. to celebrate the project’s completion.