SHY RABBIT is offering new sessions of ceramics, printmaking, photography, and basic Photoshop workshops designed for novice and experienced artists alike.
These workshops are also geared for individuals that are simply interested in expanding their creativity in a fun, relaxed and nurturing environment.
Workshops currently being offered include:
• Photographing Your Work. Saturday and Sunday, May 30-31, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. each day. Course fee: $195; includes use of studio equipment as needed.
This high content, two-day, digital photo workshop is geared for artists that understand the importance of taking control of the presentation of their work. No previous digital photo experience required.
Artists will be introduced to the methods necessary to capture, manipulate, save and send digital images of their work for use in the development of their professional careers.
• Ceramics from the Potter’s Wheel I (Introductory). June 24-July 22, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Glazing session, Saturday, Aug. 8, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Course fee: $275, includes all materials, glazes, firings, and a toolkit that participants may keep for future use. Open studio time is also included in the course fee to encourage participants to practice on the wheel in between sessions. Studio time is available every day, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., throughout the course.
This five-week introductory course is designed for novice and experienced potters alike. It will establish good working fundamentals that will provide a foundation for continuing work on the wheel and advancement, if desired. Participants will learn the concepts of wedging, centering, opening, pulling and shaping forms, trimming and finishing, and glazing.
• Basic Ceramics and Hand-building I (Introductory). Saturday and Sunday, June 27- 28, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. each day. Glazing session: Saturday, July 11, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Course fee: $215; includes all materials, glazes, firings, and a toolkit that participants may keep for future use.
If you are interested in working in clay, but have little or no experience with the medium, then this is the course for you. This two-day introductory workshop will acquaint students with the clay forming process, and will also cover basic glazing procedures.
Those with clay experience will also benefit from learning and practicing unique techniques developed over the course of more than 15 years by workshop instructor, D. Michael Coffee.
This workshop focuses on hand forming, texturing, and assembling clay, all without the use of a potter’s wheel or other equipment. Students are introduced to coil, pinch, and slab methods of construction, preparing them for continuing work in ceramics if desired.
• Printmaking without a Press I (Introductory). Saturday and Sunday, July 18-19, 10 a.m. -4 p.m. each day Course fee: $215; includes all course materials, inks and paper.
This two-day introductory workshop utilizing a unique hand-pressed printing process called “Reductive Ink”™, designed and developed by professional artist, D. Michael Coffee.
Printmaking without a Press I is high in content and uses inexpensive, low-tech materials that can be easily used in a home studio environment. It is designed for those with or without printmaking experience, and for those that simply want to explore and expand upon their creativity.
• Photoshop Basics (Introductory). Saturday, July 25, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Course fee: $90; includes use of studio equipment, as needed.
This workshop will cover the general principles of Photoshop manipulation specific to the needs of artists. It will focus on image/file formats, image sizing, cropping, and image correction. It will cover accepted practices for submission requirements to juried competitions, publications and newspapers (both online and hard copy). The preparation of images to be used in promotional materials and Web site use will also be discussed.
Workshops are held in one of SHY RABBIT’s spacious 1,000 square-foot mixed media/ceramics workshops.
For additional information on instructor D. Michael Coffee, visitwww.dmcarts.com
For more information on these or any of the workshops offered at SHY RABBIT, visit www.shyrabbit.com and click on the Workshops link at the top of the page.
For space availability, or to register, contact Denise Coffee by calling 731-2766. Visa and M/C payment accepted.
SHY RABBIT Contemporary Arts is located at 333 Bastille Drive; two blocks north of U.S. 160, off of North Pagosa Boulevard. The 4,000 square foot-arts facility houses a ceramic studio and fine art gallery, two mixed-media workshops, and two large exhibition spaces.