New VSO telephone number in service

The new Archuleta County Veterans Service Office phone number is 264-2013.

As some of you may have realized, we have been experiencing trouble with the 731-3837 number, which is now no longer in service. Thank you for your patience during this transition.

VAHC travel, assistance

Veterans making VA Health Care trips to Durango, Farmington and Albuquerque should check at the VA Travel Pay window or see me for travel reimbursement from our Colorado Veterans Trust Fund money. Many veterans do not realize they may be eligible for VA travel pay from Farmington and Durango.

If you are eligible for travel pay from Albuquerque VAMC, you are also eligible for travel pay to Farmington and Durango. I have a form in my office for travel pay requests to these outlying VAHC clinics.

It takes a while for the VA to process travel pay requests, so you must be patient. You will receive a check in the mail. Some veterans have said it can take a month or two for the travel check to arrive.

If you have been turned down for travel reimbursement recently, you do not need to keep checking for this benefit. Just see this office for travel reimbursement assistance from our Grant money.

Remember, you need to provide a “Proof of Appointment” letter or document for cash reimbursement from this office. I do not need your fuel receipts.

A reminder that you need to fill out an accomodation form request and send or fax it in to Albuquerque if an overnight stay is required in Albuquerque for your VAHC appointment. I have these forms in my office and will be happy to assist you with filling it out and I can fax it for you.

You may or may not receive a confirmation in the mail for your hotel request, but that does not mean you will not get a hotel room furnished by the VA. If you have not received a confirmation you should arrive slightly early for your appointment and check with Accommodation Office on the fourth floor of the Albuquerque VAMC to confirms where your stay is booked.

See this office if you are required to stay an extra night or for some reason are not provided a hotel room by the VA and I will see that you are reimbursed for this expense. Be sure and keep your hotel receipt and proof of a VAHC appointment.

Further information

For information on these and other veterans’ benefits, call or stop by the Archuleta County Veterans Service Office located at the Senior Center in the Pagosa Springs Community Center. The office number is 731-3837, the fax number is 264-4014, cell number is 946-6648, and e-mail is The office is open from 8 to 4, Monday through Friday. Bring your DD Form 214 (Discharge) for application for VA programs, and for filing in the VSO office.