Eligibility level changed for PTC rebate

The income eligibility threshold levels for the 2008 Colorado PTC rebate have been increased by $1,000 from the 2007 levels. Eligible applicants may apply for the 2008 rebate beginning Jan. 1.

The new maximum income levels are:

• For a single person — income less than $12,000

• For a married couple — income less than $15,700

Eligible applicants can receive a rebate of up to $600 of their property tax paid and $192 of their heating expenses paid during the year, either directly or as part of their rent payments, by filing the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Rebate Application Form 104PTC.

To claim a PTC rebate, you must also meet all five of the following eligibility requirements each time you apply.

• You (either husband or wife) are 65 or older by Dec. 31, or are a surviving spouse at least 58 years old or were disabled for the entire year, regardless of age.

• You resided in Colorado during the entire year.

• You are lawfully present in the United States.

• You are not claimed as a dependent on any other person’s federal income tax return.

• You must have paid property tax, rent and/or heating expenses.

The Colorado Property Tax/Rent/Heat (PTC) Rebate is a public benefit. Under Colorado law, individuals who are age 18 years or older and are applying for a public benefit must establish lawful presence in the United States. PTC applicants must complete and sign the “Affidavit — Restrictions on Public Benefits” (DR 4679 PTC), which is included in the 104PTC booklet. Applicants must include on the 104PTC form a valid Colorado driver’s license number or Colorado identification number, if available.

If you have a Colorado driver’s license or identification card, make sure the address you provide on the PTC application matches the address on record for your Colorado driver’s license, Colorado identification card or other identification documents. If the address does not match, the application will be denied. To update your address on your Colorado driver’s license or identification card, submit a “Change of Address” form (DR 2285) to any Colorado Motor Vehicle Division Driver’s License office.

If you do not have a Colorado driver’s license or ID card, you may provide a photocopy of one of the following forms of identification.

• Tribal — Native American Tribal Document

• Military — U.S. Military Card or Military Dependent’s ID Card

• Coast — U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

• Other — Other forms of ID are accepted. See the information below.

• Waiver — In some circumstances an identification waiver may be obtained.

On the 104PTC application, any of the above listed forms may be written in the boxes for driver’s license/ID number if the applicant does not have a Colorado driver’s license or ID. Applicants may obtain additional information regarding Accepted Forms of Identification and the Waiver Process either online at www.TaxColorado.com by clicking the “Property Tax/Rent/Heat (PTC) Rebate” button or by phone, (303) 238-7378. PTC applications will be denied until the required identification information is submitted and/or the affidavit (DR 4679 PTC) is completed and submitted.